UK spouse study visa 2024 updates

  • Table of content 
  • Introduction
  • Check the Eligibility Criteria 
  • Is the UK spouse visa closing in 2024
  • Application Submission
  • Processing Time
  • Conclusion
  • FAQS


The British government has announced that from January 2024, international students studying in the UK will no longer be able to bring dependents with them on their student visa, aside from those on research postgraduate programmers.

Check the Eligibility Criteria

Your partner and children (‘dependents’) may be able to apply to come to the UK or stay longer in the UK.

You must be one of the following

  • A government-sponsored student starting a course that lasts longer than six months
  • A full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RQF level 7 or above) that lasts nine months or longer
  • If your postgraduate level course starts on or after 1 January 2024, it must be either:
  • A PhD or other doctorate (RQF level 8)
  • A research-based higher degree.


If your child is 16 or 17 on the date you apply, you’ll need to prove they are not living an independent life, for example, they’re not married or in a civil partnership.

You’ll need to prove

Where they live – if they do not live with you, you’ll need to explain why any rent or upkeep they pay you each month that you support them financially if they do not live with you

If your child lives with you, you’ll need to provide 2 of the following documents confirming their address.

  • A bank statement
  • Credit card bills
  • Driving license
  • NHS registration document an official letter from their university or college

Is the UK spouse visa closing in 2024?

In a move that will impact countless international students, specially Indians, the United Kingdom (UK) government has announced that starting January 2024, international students will not be permitted to bring their dependents under the UK Student Visa, regardless if they are children under 18, family members, spouses.

Immigration is at an all-time high in the UK, and the government wants to tighten up the profile of migrants who come to the country and bring down the net migration total. In the period June 2021–June 2022, net migration exceeded 500,000 – more than double the number in 2019, and new data to be released this week is expected to show that the 2022 total has risen by at least 200,000.

Net migration is the difference between the number of people who move to the UK for 12 months or more in a certain period and those who leave during that same timeframe.

There are implications for international students, particularly in the form of a new policy jointly announced by the Home Office and the Department of Education concerning student dependents.

Application Submission

The application requires personal information as well as supporting documents. See the formal requirements and the online application system for a complete list. All collected data is subject to Personal Data Protection and Privacy rules please read more on our dedicated page.

Apart from the online application, at the time of arrival and registration for the study program at the hosting university, students need to provide originals or certified copies of Personal identification

Bachelor degree diploma and transcript of records,

For Bachelor, documents are not in English, Portuguese, Spanish, or German students need to provide an official translation in one of these languages.

The following institutions and persons in Germany, Portugal, or Spain can perform

  • Certification of copies
  • County or City Council
  • Police Department
  • Court Clerk’s Office
  • Notary Publics
  • Parish Offices and Health Insurance Companies
  • Other institutions, if they have an official seal with a state or provincial coat of arms.

Processing Time

Our processing times show how long it took us to process most applications in the past for each application type. The numbers will change as we process more applications and clear our inventories. The numbers shown may not reflect how long it will take us to process an application you submit today. Please find out how we calculate processing times.

If you’ve already applied, learn how to check your application status.

Our processing times are historical, meaning they’re measured based on how long it took to process 80% of applications in the past.

Your processing time starts the day we receive your complete application and ends when we decide on it.

If you apply by mail

The processing time starts when your complete application arrives in our mail room.


The UK Spouse Study Visa allows couples to embark on a remarkable educational journey together. Applicants can make this dream a reality by fulfilling the eligibility criteria, understanding the application process, and staying updated on the latest changes. If you wish to enrich your study experience in the UK while cherishing the companionship of your spouse, the UK Spouse Study Visa is undoubtedly worth exploring.


Ans: The UK spouse study visa allows the spouse or partner of a UK student to join them in the UK during their studies. It enables the visa holder to work, study, or engage in other permitted activities in the UK.

Ans: Yes, you can work with a UK spouse study visa. The visa typically grants you the right to work in the UK, but you should check the specific conditions and restrictions on working hours and types of employment.

Ans: The duration of the visa can vary based on individual circumstances and the length of the partner’s course of study. It may be granted for the same length as the partner’s student visa.

Ans: Yes, it is usually possible to switch to other visa categories, such as a work visa or a family visa, from the spouse study visa, provided you meet the specific eligibility criteria.

Ans: You can study in the UK with a spouse’s study visa. You may enroll in courses, but it’s essential to ensure that you comply with the conditions of your visa, such as staying within the allowed working hours.

Ans: Financial requirements may vary depending on the specific circumstances and the level of study of the primary student visa holder. You may need to demonstrate sufficient funds to support yourselves during your stay in the UK.